Tuesday, October 22, 2013

The Landmark Forum in Chicago

Last week I had the opportunity to travel to the wonderous Chicago, IL for a little gathering called The Landmark Forum.






Chicago, home of bustling streets and the bean! And so many other things that don't make nearly as cool of a picture :).

Lululemon is a company of potentially endless gifts - depending on how much you put into it - and this forum was yet another one that I decided to try and make the most of. While I didn't get to see a ton of Chicago (it's a 5 day conference with one day off), I felt like I had taken a month long trip to a different country.

My ability to connect with someone is a skill that is necessary to be successful at my job, whether it be in the store or out. I have come to find that my ability to connect with others depends upon the act of how true I am being to myself. The better I am in tune to me, the better I can tune into someone else.

That's probably why I am finally in a relationship that has lasted. I have stopped trying so hard to work on myself that someone else can be put first. Life is funny like that. I have come to find that life is more like a teeter-totter - the things you want will not come, until you stop trying so dang hard. Or Mike is just ridiculously patient.

Either way, I definitely learned a few things on these long, long days of sitting and listening. I had quite a few moments that had a powerful impact, they are things that some might say "duh" to, but they were great reminders of how I can continue making the most of life...okay yes I'll say it, how I can have the happyest life! Hah :)

First - sharing is powerful. Share yourself. Share your thoughts, feelings, perspectives, and learnings. Share without expectation, and with good intention. You will be amazed at the difference it can make. If you don't think it's important, then you aren't sharing without expectation. Sharing isn't just for you, most of the time it is for the other person. People want to be involved and connected, and it's not always a two-way street. "Well he didn't tell me anything after I told him all of that!" That's okay. Do your part and don't expect anything after that. When the other person does decide to share, it will be amazing, unexpected, and fulfilling.

Second - giving a situation meaning is your choice. If you choose to see things negatively, to worry, to compare, to get stressed - that is your choice. Take responsibility in that any reaction you have, is only after you decide to give meaning to something. So choose wisely. I loved hearing about this. To be honest, I thought that I did this fairly well before going into the conference. I like to assume the best in people and be curious rather than judge, and I'd rather have a positive situation than a negative one. But let's just say it was like I ran into a few power-ups on the journey through my mind.

So, if you are looking to really take your life on, and get connected with why you are the way you are, it will be a great thing to go to. But, if you aren't looking to open your mind (and your mouth, because you better believe you are going to have to make some phone calls that will test your nerves), then don't bother. This is a place to step up to the mic and let someone ask you questions that you don't want to answer at first. A place to gain insight into how to handle every situation better.

As with all things, this conference can be whatever you want it to be...because nothing has meaning until you give it meaning, right?

Here are a few pictures from the trip! Of course I had to do multiple bean pictures. It was such a beautiful night, I couldn't stop snapping!



And then one day on my trek, they were filming some TV show or movie! I couldn't get close enough to see who or what or get any details what-so-ever, but hey, I was there!


On my day off I had the chance to walk around 15 miles, covering as much cement as possible to see the things I wanted to see. And to make up for all of the sitting that I had done. Buildings are a lot more beautiful than I remember.


I made sure to stop by the infamous Navy Pier. It was a brilliant day, the sun shining and warm enough to just need a jacket and some leggings (good thing too, because that is all I wear these days...#lululemonproblems).


The ferris wheel was calling my name, but I got a great view from near the end of the pier.


Instead of riding, I just took a picture and called it a day. There is something about riding a ferris wheel all alone that didn't tickle my fancy at the moment. I was enjoying my exercise and wasn't ready to give my legs a break yet.


Then I headed to the Magnificent Mile, by way of some cool fountain.


This was the first thing I saw when I emerged onto Michigan Ave. The beautiful Burberry building. See? The city can be beautiful! And from here I knew I would be keeping my wallet in my bag, and just window shopping.



After all of that walking, a girl needs some sustenance! And what better to fuel myself with than sugar? Nothing, you're right. A few blocks after the first rumbling in my tummy, I stumbled upon Sprinkles Cupcakes. As an avid watcher of the Food Network, as in I DVR every Cupcake Wars, I of course had to stop in for one...or 2. Or however many dairy free options they had that day :).



A cupcake ATM - where you can place your order and have it waiting for you inside. Brilliant. I wish it just spat out cupcakes instead of money. What a better world this would be!


They only had one dairy free option that day, so mine it was. And oh boy was it delicious. Light and fluffy cake that had a deep chocolate flavor...I could have eaten so much of that cake. And the frosting was the perfect counter to the cake, with its rich and sinful qualities. My only regret was only getting one. 


Because I went alone, I really had nothing to say goodbye to except the bean, which I walked by on every trek from my hotel to the forum, and back. So on my last day, I visited the bean and thanked it for it's stability in my trip. I was just trying to start my sharing as soon as I could!

2 comments:

  1. A beautiful read my friend! I a so glad you had such a powerful experience at landmark. I feel motivated all over again!- ps this is Eileen :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay thanks for reading!! Can't wait until we see each other long enough to talk about it haha :)

    ReplyDelete