Monday, October 7, 2013

Citrus Coffee Scrub

First, I have a confession - I am not posting my grocery-shopping-for-energy-bars extravaganza just yet. As usual, I spent way too long in the grocery store and spent way too much money. But oh boy was it fun! Those pictures and that post will have to wait until a little later in the week, so while you wait, I have something to soothe your anxiety. So thoughtful of me, I know.

As I was making my 2nd cold brew the other day, I realized the abundance of coffee grounds that I had, and couldn't bear to see them thrown out. Now I'm not a hoarder or anything, I just like to make the most of something, give objects a full life and all. Coffee grounds just happened to win my sympathy this week.

So many coffee grounds! That means LOTS of iced coffee... and that excites me :). And it will probably make me shake, talk too fast, and make my heart beat abnormally. You have to pick and choose your battles, and a caffeine headache is just not a battle I bother with anymore. So basically I'm being smart...right?

My last roommate could verify my hate of waste. Multiple times she would find some sort of produce that maybe had the tiniest bit of mold on it and want to throw away the whole thing. Not okay! You better believe I didn't let that happen. She would hand it over and laugh as I washed/cut the mold off and put it right back in the fridge for my next meal. And it works, I swear!

I also choose to not heed expiration dates. I like to utilize the 5 senses I was given and make an educated decision, rather than blindly heed the cardboard gods. There have only been a few times when cardboard was smarter than me...each time a sour experience, yet not bad enough to ruin my spirit!

Anyways, all of this led me straight to the internet to see what normally goes in scrubs, and as with every recipe, I tweaked and came up with my very own.

Citrus Coffee Scrub

Gather these things:
- 1 and 1/2 cups used coffee grounds
- 1/2 cup olive oil (I used extra virgin olive oil)
- 1/2 cup sugar (brown, white, whatever you want)
- zest from 1 whole lemon
- juice from 1 whole lemon

Don't love citrus and coffee together? Try mint! That was my second batch and it was equally as refreshing.


Zest a lemon right into the bowl with your coffee grounds.

And now it gets really exciting...

Clearly Darwin and Mike were feeling differently...

Then add the rest of the ingredients.

Mix, mix, mix!

Then give it a try! Mine was a little watery/oily so I added more sugar before I put it in the jar.

Mason jar to the rescue again, this is currently living in my bathroom for anyone who is feeling a little rough...haha, get it?


Why did I choose this combination? Well, the wake-the-heck-up smell from the coffee grounds combined with the zesty notes of citrus make me actually want to get up in the morning and start my day in the shower...not a characteristic I normally embody. Plus the olive oil will make your skin boyfriend smooth, win. Not to mention the health benefits of caffeine and olive oil for the skin. Any way you look at it, this scrub has plenty of offerings. I probably would have been fine just rubbing coffee grounds on my skin, but I classed it up for y'all. You're welcome!





No comments:

Post a Comment