Sunday, February 2, 2014

Simple Gluten-Free Pumpkin Almond Bread

This is my favorite bread to wake up to I think. It's dense and moist (I hate that word but it's just the perfect descriptor) and it has a little crunch from my super coarse almond meal. Not to mention I'm a chronic spice-overloader. I'll follow a recipe and then immediately add 1 or 2 more tablespoons of spices. When I do this I like to say "bam!" and then I feel like Emeril Lagasse. Then I smile to myself and all is good in my kitchen. It's the little things.

It has the slightest hint of almond since the only flour is the almond meal. If you want to enhance it you could try adding some pure almond extract. I didn't this time but next time I will. Looks like I need to take a trip out to Amish country to get a good almond extract! Adventure time? I think so! I'll bring my camera this time, don't worry. Although now that I think about it that might be against their religion. I'll figure it out.


See! Why stop at 1 Tablespoon of cinnamon when you can dump 2-3 in?! Bam.


This bread if made how I did, is gluten-free, paleo, and dairy free. It could be vegan if you replaced the eggs, but I can't promise good results :).

Gather These Things:
  Dry
- 2 cups almond meal (I made my own with raw almonds - and I ground them really coarse to give the bread some texture. Any grind will do)
- 1/4 cup of whole flaxseed
- 1-3 T of cinnamon, depending on your love for cinnamon. I LOVE it, so I did about 3.
- 3/4 t of baking soda
- 1/2 t salt
- 1/2 t nutmeg
- 1/4 t cloves
   Wet
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup pure organic maple syrup
- 2 eggs

I added the extra cinnamon mid-mixing when I realized I wanted more.

Directions:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a bread pan (or whatever you choose to make these, muffins would be amazing!) with an oil of your choice - I used coconut oil.
- Mix all dry ingredients together, add wet ingredients and mix well.
- Pour batter into pan. Bake for about 40-45 minutes. Start looking at around 35 minutes, I went for a slightly crunchy top and a clean knife. 
- Eat!!

 My favorite place to get spices is Gallucci's in Cleveland, Ohio. They have the best selection and embody what authentic italian is all about. 


Add all those dry ingredients together...




If flaxseed was money, I'd be rich. Look how much I have! I actually have another full container that looks just like that in the freezer too. I tried to put a happy note on it to encourage eating...I don't think Mike loves flaxseed like I do though. Who woulda thought?

Then grab the wet ingredients...



Mix those guys up then choose your baking dish! I chose this bread pan, I was feeling a little loaf-ish that day I suppose :).


And here is the final product! Just started cracking and browning on the top and I knew it was good to go. If you're hankering for a bread with some staying power with your morning coffee, this one's a winner!


Recipe name
Gluten-Free Pumpkin Almond Bread

Serves 15 people

Ingredients
Calories
Carbs
Fat
Protein
Sodium
Sugar
Bob's Red Mill - Almond Meal/Flour- Net Carb (3), 224 g (1/4 cup)
1,280
48
112
48
0
8

Maple Grove Farms - 100% Pure Organic Maple Syrup, 1/4 c
210
53
0
0
5
47

Kroger - Grade A Large Egg (Hard Boiled), 2 egg
140
0
10
12
140
0

Libby's (W/ Potassium Info) - Pumpkin Puree, 1/2 cup (122g)
40
9
1
2
5
4

Bob's Red Mill - Natural Raw Whole Flaxseed, 4 Tbsp
180
14
16
8
10
0









Total:
1,850
124
139
70
160
59

Per Serving:
123
8
9
5
11
4


















I was able to get 15 good sized chunks out of this bread. It holds up great over a week, so I made it as part of my breakfast for the week. Add an egg omelette and I am good until lunch!





No comments:

Post a Comment