Thursday, February 27, 2014

Mango Broccoli Green Smoothie



For those of you who don't know, I love a good green smoothie. You may have seen them on my instagram, but my little iPad camera just doesn't do nature's gifts justice! I feel like I will be testing out a lot more recipes with them since I am taking a month or so off of meat.

Why oh why? I know, Mike asked me the same question. Mainly, it's because I don't feel like I'm matching my food intake with my energy output. I had been having back problems for 4ish months, and slowly my activity levels were declining.  When I finally realized I wasn't a doctor and couldn't heal it myself, I went to see a physical therapist - they concluded I had herniated a disc in my lower back.

My activity levels went from playing volleyball a few times a week, yoga, weight training, and running, to nothing. Just last week I was told that I can walk on a treadmill with no incline...yay!!

Without exercise, I have been keeping a similar diet (just a little less because I'm not as hungry) - but I have been feeling heavy. Not gaining weight heavy, surprisingly enough I haven't gained anything, but weighted and clogged. I used to get that clean feeling after exercising, and now I just feel like everything is sitting so heavy within me because I'm not using it for anything.

So this is why I will be avoiding meat products, and sticking to mostly vegetables, fruits, eggs, and beans. If we were to put some sort of foodie label on it, I will be an ovo-vegetarian (vegetarian plus eating eggs). I already don't eat any dairy products because I have a milk allergy, so basically I am just getting rid of the meat from my current diet.


You just want the smoothie recipe already? Got it.

Gather these things:
*These are approximate measurements to my liking - always make sure you taste before you pour, and add to satisfy your tastebuds. 

- 2 cups of water
- heaping 1/2 cup of frozen or fresh mango
- 1/2 head of romaine
- 1 cup of kale
- 2ish cups broccoli
- lemon juice (I probably added 2-3 Tablespoons, but I didn't measure)

Directions:
- The order I like place things in the blender is as follows: liquids, easy to blend items (lettuces/greens), crunchy items (cabbages, raw beets, cruciferous veggies, etc),  fruits. I have found that placing the things that are easier to break down near the blades make for seamless blending, otherwise you are probably going to have those big crunchy things getting stuck.



 I ended up with this much broccoli left over, my smoothie was getting a little thicker than I normally like, so I just ate it as a pre-game to my smoothie :).

Thank god for my Vitamix. Broccoli is super fibrous and I'm not sure what other blender can make the silky smooth treat that this guy does. I don't plan to find out anytime soon either, I'm probably a Vitamix-lifer.



This recipe makes about 2 servings, depending on how big your glasses are. This one tastes like summer - I'm currently searching for all things that taste, feel, look, or remind me in some way of summer. This Cleveland winter is really beating me down!


Recipe name: Mango Broccoli Green Smoothie

Ingredients
Calories
Carbs
Fat
Protein
Sodium
Sugar
Trader Joe's - Mango Chunks (Frozen), 119 g (14 Pieces)
77
20
0
1
0
18

Broccoli - Raw, 150 g
51
10
1
4
50
3

Kale - Raw, 54 g
27
5
0
2
23
0

Fresh & Easy - Veggie - Romaine Fillets, 6.5 leaves (85g)
33
5
0
1
65
3









Total:
188
40
1
8
138
24

Per Serving:
94
20
1
4
69
12













Enjoy friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment