Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Kitchen and Bathroom Updates!

With all of my posts about food, I'm sure y'all know where my favorite place in a house is.... drumroll...the kitchen! So you can imagine my excitement when I heard that the kitchen was getting fitted in this past week. Excitement doesn't really grasp my actual emotions - thrilled, exhilarated, in a tizzy of joy, passionate, hysterical - all of those together.

Basically it's like this - surprises are my favorite thing in the world, and the kitchen is my favorite place to be. I haven't seen any of the finished products because I have refused to look - I can't bear to ruin a good surprise! So I finally decided to venture over...best day ever!

Here is a sneak peak as the work gets done, there is dust everywhere, so please ignore it.

The bar area got the same soapstone as the kitchen, talk about beautiful. I don't know what to look at, the cabinets or the counter! The wood for the kitchen and bar is a mix of butternut and black walnut. Both were trees that were found in Mike's parents yard at their house in Canton - so smart of them to save it.


Surprise! We have a beverage refrigerator for the bar! I had long forgotten about the addition of this guy, but oh boy am I pumped for properly cooled beverages.

Mike quickly reminded me that he's the beverage drinker of the family, so it will most likely be full of beers carefully chosen for his palate. No need to go getting all territorial on me, I just like to brew and taste beers, not actually drink a full bottle.


I'm still not over the wood and the hardware on the cabinets. It's so rustic and industrial, yet homey and friendly. Sigh, perfection.




And look at that nice big counter for prepping and serving! And a big farmhouse sink - things I have always wanted and thought I'd have to sell my soul and happiness for a job that would afford me these things. Thank goodness I was wrong.



And here is a view to see where the fridge and freezer are going to go, and then to the left will be some cabinets and the coffee machine. Think we will have enough food to put in the separate refrigerator and freezer? My money's on yes.



Up close and personal - you can really see the wood and handles...oh gosh I can't wait.



The crown molding tops off the finishing touches...to me finishing touches means we're almost there.



And just in case you were worried, because I know I was, yes the dishwasher has a dish warming setting. So for all of those 10 course meals I plan to cook for friends, don't worry, the dishes will be warm.



We made some progress between the first time I snapped pics and the second - the dishwasher is in and the doors are on!



The upstairs bathroom is getting there too. I picked out a trough sink to bypass the issue of only having one drain hole but still wanting 2 faucets for the master bath/2nd floor bath. And the cabinet that it's going with is another piece of art. I love wood, have I mentioned that?


We went with a darker wall color knowing that all of the trim would be white, and the marble is a bright white, with hints of grey. The pictures aren't that great, so sorry for that. Very poor lighting, being in a rush, and snapping pics at dusk doesn't make the best combination apparently.


 As much as I love people and great company, I've realized how much I value my own personal space, and some good ole quiet time. Good things come to those who wait, so I will keep on waiting!



No comments:

Post a Comment