Friday, March 21, 2014

New Find: Lemon Powder

I think I found a new kitchen staple - and it is called lemon powder. For me, kitchen staples normally need to be carefully contemplated, go through multiple rounds of tastings, and prove themselves to be a savior at any moment when lack of flavor could be the issue. I skipped a few steps, and just ordered a pound of it. #Worth it.

I went with Hoosier Hill Farm lemon powder this time.

How did I stumble upon this decision you ask? Well, I bought a new hummus from Whole Foods the other day and it had this undeniable lemony flavor. It wasn't the acidic lemon juice flavor, or even the bright pop of the zest...it was something different, it was almost sweet. Like a true detective, I scoured the ingredient label for anything I didn't recognize...and there it was. Lemon powder. Why hadn't I heard of this before?!

So the search started in that moment, and no stores in the area I was in had it, so I went to my next favorite, Amazon.com. And why start small with only a few ounces? Go big or go home!

After receiving it, I started with some hummus - because there was no better way to pay homage to my finding. And I can't just be normal, so I added a little unflavored egg white protein powder to the mix for a protein packed hummus.

Gather these things:
- 1 can garbanzo beans
- 1/2 scoop unflavored egg white protein powder - feel free to leave this out, I was just feeling fancy
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of lemon powder
- Seasonings of your choice - I used salt and garlic powder
- Water, just enough to get the consistency you like
- A splash of lemon juice

Directions:
- Add all ingredients to your food processor or blender
- Blend until you like the taste and consistency
- Eat!!


I wouldn't recommend anything except an unflavored protein powder, I have tried vanilla before - not okay. It turned out way too sweet and I couldn't bear to eat it. I love Jay Robb's unflavored egg white protein powder. I got this 2 lb pack from Mike for Valentine's Day. He get's me :).


I like to add my spices little by little, and taste as I go. The worst is a ruined hummus, and having to sadly watch it get dumped down the drain.




Perfect snack to take to work. A little protein, some carbs, and definitely an amazing lemon flavor! Since this I have made homemade gummies, a lemon pie protein shake, and a lemon beet smoothie. At this rate, it probably won't last me long!

No comments:

Post a Comment