Monday, December 9, 2013

Dark Chocolate Pumpkin Swirl Bread

So it's been awhile since my last post. Instead of listing reasons and excuses, I decided to just get right to making it up to you with a delicious recipe! Chocolate included, duh, because no begging of pardons is complete without a little chocolate :).

Coming off of Thanksgiving week, I still had lots of pumpkin sitting around, so that narrowed down my recipe options real quickly. Chocolate + pumpkin = pumpkin swirl bread! And, one thing led to another, and then this happened!


 Dark chocolate for breakfast? Yes please.

I saw this recipe awhile ago on someone's blog, but I only took a picture of the actual recipe and I can't seem to find where it came from. If this is your recipe, please claim it!

Gather these things:
    Dry
-  1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup arrowroot flour (tapioca starch normally works as a cup for cup replacement, but I used arrowroot)
- 1T baking powder
- 2 T cocoa powder (I used hershey's cocoa powder)
- 1/4 t salt
- 4 packets of PureVia stevia (original recipe called for 1/2 cup of palm sugar/other granulated sugar, I don't love super sweet things so I passed on adding too much sugar)
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips of your choice (I chose super dark, 97.5%, dark chocolate)
    Wet
- 5 large eggs
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil, plus 1 teaspoon left separate and unmelted 
- 2 T pure maple syrup
- 1 T lemon juice
- 2 T Trader Joe's unsweetened vanilla almond milk (any milk will do here)

Directions:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix all ingredients together EXCEPT chocolate and 1 t of coconut oil. I like to mix all of my dry, and then add the wet ingredients to my dry.
- Put batter into a bread pan that has been sprayed (I used coconut oil spray).
- Put dark chocolate and 1 teaspoon of coconut oil in a microwave safe bowl and melt them together, 30 seconds at a time to make sure they don't burn. You want the mixture liquid enough to pour onto batter.
- Pour chocolate on top of batter, then use a knife to swirl in whatever design you wish!
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35 - 45 minutes (until knife comes out clean).
- Let cool before cutting, eat!

All my ingredients, minus the chocolate, anxiously waiting to be in one big bowl together.

 The dry...

...and the wet. 

Here's the batter, chocolate bath is on it's way! 


Here is the chocolate that I used - nice and dark - just how I like it.

Then pour your chocolate on top of the batter before putting it in the oven, in any which way. 

And get your swirl on! Simply take your knife and drag it back and forth like you are trying to cut the batter.

 Used up most of my creative juices making this design - good news is it's my day off and I don't have much else to do :).

The bread comes out fluffy and decadent, with just the slightest hint of sweetness, enough to make me feel like I'm eating dessert for breakfast. Add some peanut or almond butter for a satisfying breakfast, or even a pre-workout meal (probably best if eaten at least around 2 hours before, just so you can digest the nutrients fully).

I chose to cut my bread into 20 pieces...that way when I go back for seconds (ok maybe thirds) I don't feel so bad :).

Recipe name
Pumpkin Swirl Bread
Number of servings
Serves 20 people

Ingredients
Calories
Carbs
Fat
Protein
Sodium
Sugar
Bob's Red Mill - Arrowroot Starch/Flour, 0.5 cup (32g)
220
56
0
0
0
0

Coconut Secret - Raw Coconut Flour, 8 tbsp
248
36
6
14
60
4

Hershey's Cocoa - Natural Unsweetened Powder, 2 tbsp
20
6
1
2
0
0

Bakers Secret - Baking Chocolate, 1 square
140
16
9
2
0
12

Trader Joes - Raw Organic Coconut Oil, 4.3 tbsp (15ml)
516
0
60
0
0
0

Egg, Large (50g) - 1 Large Egg (Canadian), 5 egg
370
0
25
30
275
0

Libby's (W/ Potassium Info) - Pumpkin Puree, 1/2 cup (122g)
40
9
1
2
5
4

Trader Joe's - 100% Pure Maple Syrup - Grade A (Medium Amber), 1/8 cup (60mL)
105
27
0
0
5
27








Total:
1,659
150
102
50
345
47

Per Serving:
83
8
5
3
17
2




2 comments:

  1. What temp do you bake it at?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah! I will change the directions - of course you need to know what temp to bake at! It's 350 degrees, and thanks for this, definitely an important detail to know!

    ReplyDelete